What You Need to Know: Alexandrite Laser Hair Removal
The Alexandrite laser hair removal system is similar to the ruby system. The laser is produced by passing light through an alexandrite laser. The wavelength of this laser produced is 755nm which is part of the red-infrared spectrum. Similar to the ruby laser’s wavelength the wavelength of 755nm is also absorbed primarily by melanin in the hair follicles.
Who Does It Work For?
The Alexandrite laser hair removal system works best for people with very light skin. It can even work for those with albino skin or freckles where other methods would not. However, it’s not restricted to those blessed with ultra white skin. This laser can be effective with olive skin as well.
Can I Use It At Home?
Because alexandrite lasers are very powerful there are no FDA approved home use systems. They are, however, very common at most treatment centers.
- The laser pulse time is fast resulting in fairly fast treatment times.
- Effective on a good range of skin types, from pale to olive typically.
- Effective on thinner hairs compared to other lasers.
- Not effective for those with darker skin types.
- Possible discoloration.
- Could cause pain due to the pulse frequency.
Types of Alexandrite Laser Hair Removal Systems
- EpiTough Plus
The alexandrite laser is also used in other skin treatments.
- Age spots
- Spider veins
- Vascular birthmarks
- Tattoo removal